When James Lambert’s car hit a tree root, causing it to swerve out of control and hit a hitching post, America saw its very first car accident. The year was 1891. Since that time there have been hundreds of thousands of car accidents, although a significant amount of auto and road safety improvements have been implemented along the way. Unfortunately, the sheer number of automobiles on America’s roadways almost guarantee that any given person will be involved in 1-4 auto accidents during their lifetime.
While many of these will be relatively minor fender benders, others could leave victims with severe injuries. Many of these accidents will end up in litigation as a means of forcing the at-fault party to pay for injuries he or she caused. Having a Lilburn, GA car accident attorney from Hong & Sessions Law by your side from beginning to end can make a significant difference in the outcome of your car accident. It is a fact that overall, those who are legally represented are consistently paid a more equitable settlement.
If you have been involved in a car accident in Lilburn, GA, it is important that you stay as calm as possible. Understandably, you are shaken up, possibly injured, and maybe even angry that another driver wasn’t paying proper attention. Even so, it’s important to keep conversation to a minimum, even to the point of not saying “I’m sorry.” (Those words can be taken as an admission of guilt, and later used against you). Turn on your hazard lights and get to a safe place. Call 911 and wait for the ambulance and police.
Exchange information with the other driver, and, if you are not too severely injured, snap a few photos of the accident, including the license plate of the other driver’s car. Again, if you are able and there are witnesses, jot down their contact information. Even if you believe you are not seriously injured, it’s a good idea to be checked out by a doctor. The adrenaline rush you experience following a car accident can mask symptoms of serious injury. Once you are home, contact your insurance company and tell them the basic facts of the accident. Finally, if your accident was more than a minor fender bender, contact an experienced Lilburn, GA car accident attorney from Hong & Sessions Law.
Following a car accident if you were to tell others you have whiplash as a result, you are likely to meet rolled eyes and raised eyebrows. You may even be accused of attempting to squeeze money from the insurance company. Unfortunately, our society tends to have a very negative stereotype of neck injuries, such as whiplash. This is likely due to the fact that a neck injury is a soft-tissue injury that is almost impossible to prove—or disprove.
The negative stereotype associated with whiplash and other neck injuries can be extremely harmful to those with real neck injuries due to an automobile accident. In fact, whiplash is an actual injury, and a whopping 90 percent of drivers and passengers struck from behind will experience some level of whiplash. Overall, neck pain is the number one symptom associated with automobile accidents. In fact, traffic accidents account for at least 37 percent of all whiplash and neck injuries. Other common injuries associated with car accidents include broken bones, lacerations, spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, and psychological trauma resulting from the accident.
Georgia is an “At-Fault” state, meaning when a collision occurs the responding officer may assign fault to one or both parties via a citation. The state of Georgia allows for percentages of fault to be assigned through proportional comparative fault. Therefore, one driver could be 100 percent at fault, both drivers could be equally at fault, or one driver could be, say, 70 percent at fault while the other was 30 percent at fault. Your percentage of fault will impact your final settlement. Let’s say, for instance, you are judged to be 20 percent at fault for the accident. If your settlement amount for the accident is $50,000, then you would receive $40,000 after the 20 percent was removed.
Ideally, you will interview several Lilburn, GA car accident attorneys before choosing one. You can ask how many car accident claims similar to yours they have handled. You will also ask how the firm will contact you, and what the normal time for a response is. You will also want to get a feel for how your personalities “mesh.” While it is not necessary for you to become best friends with your attorney, you must have a level of trust in him or her.
If you are looking for an experienced personal injury lawyer in Lilburn, GA, look no further than Hong & Sessions Law. We handle virtually every type of car accident claim, including DUI car accidents. We are knowledgeable and highly experienced car accident attorneys. We serve Gwinnett County, Duluth, Johns Creek, Norcross, Lilburn, Snellville, Suwanee, Lawrenceville, and Peachtree Corners. Contact Hong & Sessions Law, LLC today.