Do I Need an Attorney After a Car Accident? The number one question many people ask following a car accident is “Do I need an attorney after a car accident?” If you were involved in a fender bender with no serious injuries and little damage to your car, you probably don’t need a car accident attorney. You will simply call your insurance company and it will be worked out in a way that will be at least mostly satisfactory. If, however, your injuries are more severe, you are unable to return to work immediately, and/or there is significant damage to your vehicle, having an attorney by your side can make a huge difference. Some of the more common reasons you could benefit from speaking to a Duluth, GA car accident attorney include:
- You were hit by an impaired driver, a distracted driver, or a clearly reckless driver. Sometimes car accidents just happen. Nobody was being overly unsafe, but one driver may have made a mistake that caused the accident. Other times, an impaired driver may be behind the wheel, a driver could be texting while driving, or a reckless driver could be clearly violating the rules of the road. If any of these are true for your car accident, you have a high likelihood of obtaining a fair settlement. Those chances go up considerably when you have an attorney fighting for your rights.
- You have severe injuries and will be off work for more than a week. If your injuries are severe, causing you to be unable to work for weeks, months, or even years, you definitely need an experienced attorney. Most people simply do not have the legal knowledge—or the time—to negotiate medical bills and lost wages. If expert witnesses are required to prove the claim, most of us lack the financial resources to retain the best. Your attorney knows the legal issues surrounding your accident and is well-versed in dealing with insurance companies.
- An uninsured or underinsured motorist hit you. While there are insurance requirements in every state, some people ignore those requirements. They may be driving with no insurance or could be woefully underinsured. Even if the other driver is clearly at fault, if they have no insurance or are underinsured, you may be left “holding the bag.” If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on your own insurance policy, you may be able to collect for your damages. This is a more complex situation, so having a knowledgeable Gwinnett County car accident attorney by your side makes a fair settlement more likely.
- The insurance company has denied your claim. Ideally, you should hire a car accident attorney before your claim is denied. If you’ve attempted to handle your claim on your own, and the insurance company denies your claim, hire an attorney immediately! Any insurance company immediately takes your claim more seriously when an attorney is involved. An insurance company could be guilty of bad faith practices if your claim is unreasonably denied. If you have an experienced attorney in your corner, you could receive a good settlement and be compensated for the insurance company’s negligence. Your attorney knows what evidence is required and will stand their ground against an unscrupulous insurance company.
- You are being offered a very low settlement amount. If your insurance company immediately offers you a settlement, beware! Make sure the amount being offered is not far too low to cover your future medical expenses and lost wages. An attorney knows how to accurately determine your damages—then ensure the insurance company pays a reasonable amount.
Contact an experienced Duluth, GA car accident attorney from Hong & Sessions Law to ensure you are properly reimbursed for your damages. There’s no cost to speak with us, get your free consultation now.